"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What's On Your Resume?

"Fear not: for I have redeemed thee, I have called thee by thy name; thou art mine." Isaiah 43:1b

Yesterday I had to do something that I don't know that I have ever had to do before - write a resume. It took me a while to figure out what to include from my vast experience. Cough. Cough. All right, not so much actual job experience.

I came up with some of the following: blogger for almost three years; book reviewer for almost six months; feature columnist for 1 1/2 years; and home educator for fourteen years. In the career world, that probably doesn't amount to very much.

How do you include being a mother for over nineteen years? Being with your spouse through many ups and downs of 22+ years of marriage. Losing a parent through death, experiencing a miscarriage. Being alone in a foreign country with no support while going through these deaths, and our nation was at war. Experiencing the trauma of a son with a fractured spleen, and a husband with a broken pelvis.

All right, some of those were the hard things of life, but what about the joys as well? Times like when I married my best friend. The joy we experienced with the birth of our two sons, and the joy when they both came to salvation. The blessing of obtaining our first home, where we still live. The excitement of going on two mission trips. The joy of each day learning what God has for me.

I know that the things actually on my paper resume are not too impressive. But on the resume of life, you will see a woman that is called by God, and He says that I am special. No matter what I hear back from the job possibility, I know that I have found favor with my Heavenly father, and that is most important to me.

No comments: