"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, April 19, 2010

Open Eyes

"Open my eyes that I may see wonderful things in your law." Psalm 119:18

I purposely chose the color green for the verse written above. It was close to the color of light that I saw during a laser procedure to my right eye this morning. Ever since I have had my eyes tested back in November, I have been struggling with ocular hypertension. This means that I have elevated pressure in my eyes. Not a great condition to have, since prolonged time of having it can cause glaucoma, which untreated, causes blindness.

I have been on eye drops each night for quite some time. Last week I had a check-up to see how the pressure was doing. Even with being on drops, the pressure is higher than the doctor would like. So she decided to perform a laser procedure that should hopefully help to alleviate some of this pressure.

I was told it would be relatively painless. I had a lens placed in front of my eye, so I wouldn't be able to blink throughout the procedure. Then I had 100 pin pricks of laser  light in my eye. It was painful, but not unbearable. I could feel the tears rolling down my face during it. After the doctor was finished, my vision was blurry in my right eye. I was told it would take a few minutes to clear. It actually was about 20-30 minutes.

Next Tuesday, I get to go through the whole process again, but this time to the left eye, all in the attempt to help reduce the pressure in my eyes. Hopefully the pain will be worth the gain. I guess only time will tell.

I didn't enjoy having to go through this procedure, but it made me think of the importance of keeping my eyes wide open each day. I want to see the things that God places in my path. Sometimes it may be a word of encouragement from a friend, a smile, or some other subtle way that God uses to inspire us. God used my devotion time this morning to speak His words of encouragement to me in regard to a decision I am facing. I know it wasn't a coincidence, but instead something God ordained.

May my eyes be open each day to see what He has for me.

No comments: