"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"Thanks for Talking To Me"

"I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward." Mark 9:41

I couldn't help but think of this verse this morning. My son and I were in Wal-Mart doing some last minute shopping before he heads to camp on Sunday. We happened to be in the bike section, just looking, when we were interrupted by an elderly gentleman. He only spoke for a few minutes and shared how he used to like riding his bike. He explained that he had a stroke and no longer is able to do that, since he can't ride straight.

My son and I listened and made a few comments in return. As we parted ways he said, "Thank you for talking to me. Most people won't respond to an old man like me. Someday they are going to get old too..." His words caused me to pause. We corresponded for only a few moments, but in that time, God gave me a glimpse of a lonely, old man. We made his day special by just stopping to listen.

How many other hurting individuals do we come in contact with each day? Perhaps all they need to cheer them is a kind word, a gentle touch, a smile, or just taking a few minutes to listen. Maybe that's what Jesus meant when He said these words written above. Many times I miss those opportunities. Today I am thankful that God used me to touch an old man's heart, just by being available.

No comments: