"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, June 18, 2010

Living Out the Servant Life

Jesus spoke many times about the importance of being a servant. Jesus' life was an example of this. I can't help but think about this today. I realize that there are two ends to the story - we can be the one serving and helping, or at times we are the ones on the receiving end. Both positions are humbling.

I guess if I had the choice, I would prefer serving others. But today (and tomorrow) finds our family on the receiving end. Over a year ago, when my husband experienced his pelvis fracture and months without work, we also had a leaky roof at the same time. There were no funds to replace it. We were blessed to have some individuals come and patch it for us as a temporary fix. Funds continue to be tight, so we were overwhelmed that a local church has raised the money to replace our roof. Individuals are giving up a vacation day so they can tear off the roof today. Tomorrow the new shingles will be installed.

I continue to be amazed at how God provides for our needs in ways we least expect it. It is extremely humbling to be on the receiving end. I know we feel incredibly blessed by the situation. I pray that those working on our roof will also be blessed in the process of serving. Today I am seeing Jesus lived out in the lives of those giving up their time for us. I pray that when the roles are reversed, I will be faithful as well.

No comments: