"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cleaning Out the Debris

Sweeping, straightening, and catching up has been my existence today. I slowly am making plans for how to attack the cleaning up of my house. I've been reading a book The House That Cleans Itself by Mindy Starns Clark. She recommends figuring out how many zones you have in your house, and then number them in the order to work on each area. I started that yesterday. Next week I will officially 'attack the house.'

I decided this morning to work on a zone that I hadn't even included on my floor plan - our front porch. It was in serious need of sweeping and some straightening. I also wanted to move my house plants out on the porch for the summer. They seem to thrive so much better when they are out there. But in order to move them, I first needed to address the disarray of the porch.

It's finished now and looks much better than before. The plants are moved too. I even went a step further and swept the sidewalk, since my son had just mowed the grass this afternoon. Everything looks fresh and clean.

It wasn't that much work to move everything off the porch, so I could sweep it. I admit, I worked up a sweat on this exceptionally warm spring day. But now I am enjoying being in our air-conditioned home, drinking some sweet tea, and writing this blog entry. I have the satisfaction of knowing the porch is finished, and I'm pleased with the results.

As I swept and cleaned, I thought about how we need to ask Jesus to sweep the dust and cobwebs out of our hearts. Perhaps we have become a little lax on our time with him each day. Or maybe you are harboring hurt feelings from something your spouse said. Maybe there is bitterness, anger, or unforgiveness that needs to be addressed.

I never have been much for the traditional 'spring cleaning.' I don't know if that makes me domestically challenged or what?! :) I do desire to get my house clean and in order. But above that desire, is one that supersedes everything else. That is, to wholeheartedly follow the Lord each day of my life - to walk in His will. I pray that my relationship with Him is open and fresh, so that 'debris' is not able to accumulate. May I have a fresh, clean heart each day.

No comments: