"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Cleaning Out the Clutter - Blessing in Disguise

This past weekend we were blessed to have our roof replaced for us, free of charge. Before the work on the roof began, a dumpster was delivered to our home. The workers were able to throw all the old shingles, rotted boards, nails, debris, etc into it. When the last worker was leaving, he commented that we have until this Thursday to have the dumpster. There was quite a bit of room remaining inside of it. He encouraged us to feel free to fill it up and utilize it.

So this week finds my husband and I busily working on our house. I admit, I didn't get much accomplished yesterday. I had a wonderful time meeting with a friend in the morning, and by afternoon I was feeling pretty tired and my feet were hurting. My dear husband spent several hours pulling things out of the attic yesterday. He sorted, cleaned and trashed things that had been accumulating up there for years. I'm sure there still is a bit to accomplish, but he started making a dent up there.

Today found me working hard as well. I sorted through all of my clothes and then dropped off unwanted items at a local charity. Next I sifted through accumulations in my hope chest. Most of the items were things that I still desired to keep, but I did manage to part with some items there as well.

As I sort and clean up our home, I am continually reminded of the importance of making sure that my heart is right with God - that there are no hidden areas from Him. Just as we are exposing some of the hidden areas in our home (the hope chest, attic, etc.) and desiring to clean them up, so too I desire for God to clear out any sin or cobwebs of doubt that may be trying to roost in my heart. I pray that this dumpster will be a blessing in disguise - perhaps in more ways than one!

No comments: