"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, June 14, 2010

Help Me Up!

"Two are better than one,
       because they have a good return for their work:
  If one falls down,
       his friend can help him up.
       But pity the man who falls
       and has no one to help him up!" Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

I love the word picture associated with these two verses. It talks about the value of friendship. Today has been one of those days that I have been blessed by the friendships in my life, and I am extremely thankful. Sometimes situations and circumstances seem overwhelming and downright discouraging. We look around wondering if there is any relief in sight.

Then on the horizon a friend appears. She has a smile on her face and encourages you to keep on and not to get overwhelmed. Perhaps another one says, "I've been through this, and I know you can do it too! I feel your pain and can relate to you." They say something that make us smile. Before we know it, a chuckle can be heard. What has appeared as gray, dismal skies, now has a bright streak of sunlight streaming through - giving hope and encouragement.

I considered myself blessed by the friends that reach out when I need it the most. I praise God that I have friends that help me up when I fall. I pray that I can be sensitive to do the same for them, whenever they need me.

No comments: