"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Resting in God's Presence

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6:25-34

I have been thinking this morning about two comments I have heard from friends recently in regards to worrying. Both are under stressful situations and concerns. One frankly said, "I'm a worrier." The other is entering a new area in her life where she doesn't have any control. Both of them have the choice of what they will do. Will they choose to worry or trust God to take care of things that they can't control?

Don't get me wrong, I am no way judging them. I too have had many times when I also struggle with worrying. There are still instances where I fall back into that frame of mind, but yet I feel that these verses call us to a different life. As followers of Christ, how much impact would we make on the world if we were known for our unshakable faith and trust?

I too have undergone my own set of stresses and health issues. One thing I have learned through my time of spiritual retreat is the importance of relying fully on the Lord, to trust Him with every area of my life. When I am afraid or concerned about something, it may take a moment by moment prayer of "I ask You to intercede for me in this situation." I give it to the Lord and may take it back the next instant. I am learning to continually give it to the Lord. The more I get in the practice of releasing it, the easier it becomes to fully let go of it. I find that I begin to walk on the road of trust instead of worry.

I have found that the road to trust starts and continues on our knees, in prayer to God. So perhaps we should invest in a good set of knee pads! :) I pray that I will be known not as someone who always worries, but instead someone that fully trusts in God.

No comments: