"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

How Is Your Walk?

"Observe the commands of the LORD your God, walking in his ways and revering him." Deuteronomy 8:6

I really enjoy walking. I am not a runner, but I do enjoy a leisurely and even brisk stroll. I find it beneficial for my health as well as spiritual growth. Most times I walk, I also pray, experiencing two benefits.

Lately walking and being on my feet has been painful. For about a year and a half I have been experiencing heel pain. It first started in my left foot and now is experienced in both. Most days I do not have much relief from discomfort. It has come to the point where I may soon need to go to a doctor to discover what is occurring.

Even though I often experience pain, I haven't given up walking. I haven't been walking quite as much, or as far as I used to, but I still try.

I can't help but think about my husband's inability to walk for three months after his ski accident a year ago. He could have no weight bearing on his left leg due to his fractured pelvis.
It was a rough time for our family, since it meant over three months of being without our only source of income.

But yet we still chose to walk with our Lord - placing our lives in His hands, and trusting Him to take care of us. The future was shaky and uncertain, but we continued to trust and believe that He would provide for us. Times were hard - our stove died, we needed new tires for our van, our pantry was thinning, medical bills kept coming, and our roof was leaking. In the midst of the unknown we felt God's calling our son to participate in a short-term mission trip to China. We couldn't see from where the answers, money, and help would come.

God provided for each of our needs. We had a temporary patch put on the area that was leaking, and now almost a year later, a local church will soon be supplying a completely new roof. We have continued to walk and trust God for our needs.

I'm reminded that even when we may struggle physically with walking, we can always be active in our spiritual walk of following our Master. He has a path that is marked out for us; we need to just walk in it.

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I hope you get to go. I just wish I had to "guts" to travel over there and be a part of She Speaks. I'm so afraid of traveling! Crazy, huh???

God bless!

Marilyn...in Mississippi