"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, March 29, 2010

A Calling, Not a Job

"As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace." Ephesians 4:1-3

I have been doing a bit of research on lighthouses lately. This morning I was previewing a video about lighthouses in New England. Other documentaries I previewed on this topic went through each lighthouse, one by one. This is what I anticipated this video to be like too. I was surprised to find that this one consisted of interviews with former lighthouse keepers and their families. It was quite fascinating.

One statement that a wife of a lighthouse keeper said has stuck with me. It was her job to work alongside her husband, in keeping up with the daily maintenance that was required. She commented, "We looked at it as a calling, not a job." This remark caused me to pause.

How often do we go about our days, going through the motions, just doing our job? When was the last time that we paused, and thought about it being our calling? How are you doing with following the call of God on your life? Are you being faithful?

1 comment:

Rachel Olsen said...

Amen to that. I beleive God even wants us to find a sense of pleasure in our work.

Thanks for this ~ Rachel