"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Reach Out and Touch Someone

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart." Jeremiah 29:11-13

I remember a number of years ago the television commercial for a phone company, whose slogan was "Reach Out and Touch Someone." I can't recall which company it was, things tend to fuzz in my gray matter from time to time. All right, perhaps more often then I care to admit! :) (Don't ask my husband of how often this is!!)The premise was the importance of communication and staying in touch.

This has been on my mind, since I have had the opportunity to meet with some friends over the past couple days. Yesterday I met with two dear friends, as well as some new ladies. We shared in a Bible study and prayer together. It was the first time I had been with these friends for a couple months. It was a delight to be with them again. I realized that during our time apart, God had changed us in different ways. I had the pleasure of witnessing their reaching out to other women and growing in this area.

This morning I met with a lady from our church that I have known as an acquaintance for a number of years now. We see each other on Sundays, but that's about it. She reached out to me a couple months ago, when I was experiencing a lot of health issues, by letting me know she was daily praying for me. Her words had a tremendous impact on me. She sent emails of encouragement. I think back now of how God used her simple act of obedience to draw our hearts.

Today was our first time to actually get together. We went for a short walk. I would have loved for it to be longer, but my heel is painful today. We then proceeded to a local restaurant to talk over coffee, tea and a bagel.

I was amazed to find out the amount of similarities that we shared. We connected on a deep level. We both were surprised when two hours had passed while we chatted. I truly believe that our friendship is like a rose - just beginning to bud and flourish. I'm excited to witness and be a part of the process.

Isn't that just like God to surprise us when we least expect it? I'm so thankful that this woman chose to reach out and touch my life. I believe that we both will be blessed because of her willingness to go outside her comfort zone. Her witness is an example to me of the importance of reaching out to others when God prompts. You never know when a friendship is waiting around the corner!

No comments: