"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Keeper of the Light

"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16

Today my friend and I did a little site seeing. We traveled about an hour away to visit the Tybee Island Light Station. The weather was a little warmer today - about 50 degrees. It was sunny and we had a slight breeze. It was a gorgeous day to go exploring, and walk on the beach.

This was my first time to actually go inside a lighthouse. We climbed the 178 steps to the top of the 154 foot tall building. I mentioned before that I am not crazy about heights. I had to tell myself not to panic, as we got to the top of the steps and stepped out onto the catwalk. I hugged the wall as the wind whipped around each corner.

I did fine when I looked at the horizon, but not so much when I looked down. I think my friend would have liked to walk around on the outside for a little bit longer than we did, but was sensitive to the scared look on my face. I was ready to go inside, to the somewhat security of the circular iron rails and steps.

It was an interesting experience. This lighthouse was utilized from 1773 to 1948. There was a separate house for the headkeeper. Each day he would climb these steps, to make sure the light was working adequately.

As we were absorbing all of the history of the area, my mind was whirling with story ideas. What would it have been like to be a wife of lighthouse keeper? How would it have been during a fierce storm or hurricane? My mind ran through a gambit of ideas and possible plots. What an exciting adventure it must have been for these keepers of the light.

But then, isn't that something that we should also be doing as Christians? The verse above says that we are the light of the world. We need to make sure that the windows are clean and the light is glowing brightly for all to witness. Are others able to readily see Jesus in my life? Is there anything that I am doing that is hampering that view? I pray that I will be reminded of my job as 'keeper of the light.'

No comments: