"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Contentment

"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want." Philippians 4:11-12

I finally had the opportunity to do a little housecleaning today. There still is a lot that needs to be accomplished. I ran the vacuum, cleared off the dining room table (except for one pile) and also swept the kitchen floor. Piles are still waiting to be gone through, counters cleared, bathrooms cleaned, dusting, etc. I don't know how it always happens, but it can be many months after Christmas, and I still find tree needles that have been hiding somewhere. I vacuumed some needles today, and they still had that fresh pine scent.

I am in the process of trying to get better organized here at home, so I have time to work on the things that God has called me to do. I desperately want to figure this out soon, so I can get on to the business of researching and writing. I also am trying to finish reading two books that will soon be due at the library (and won't renew), as well as work through one that I need to blog a book review. Then there is the home school article that needs to be written and submitted by April 1st.

Then there also are the daily chores - Homeschool, cooking meals, laundry, taking care of bills, dishes, etc. Also throw in two birthdays in the past several days, teaching a Bible study, and I'm not sure what else! Isn't it something, how we can get so caught up in the things that are pressing, that we get stressed by them?

I have been striving towards not being stressed by my 'to do' list. Some days I am successful and do great with keeping things in proper perspective, other times...not so great. Today would probably classify as in between. I was thankful that I was finally able to get some things accomplished, but it just never seems that I move fast enough. I have high hopes and motivation, but something seems to happen between the planning and the execution. Perhaps I could chalk it up to 'getting older.' I don't know what else to call it! :)

My mind goes back to the scripture written above - the importance of learning to be content no matter what situation we face. I pray that God continues to drill this into my heart, until it becomes a natural reaction and response in all that I say and do. I pray that Philippians 3:13b-14 will be characteristic of my life. "Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

No comments: