"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Happy Birthday Joshua!

It seems hard to believe that nineteen years ago at this time in Heidelberg, Germany I was in labor with our first child. I remember as my husband and I headed to the hospital. We weren't sure if I was in labor or not. I continued to have back pains every 20 minutes or so. This was not how our childbirth class described it. We called the doctor, and they recommended coming, just in case.

I was not due for three more days. The hospital was an hour away. My husband and I decided to stop by the PX for film for our Polaroid camera, just in case I actually was in labor. We took our time getting to the hospital. When we finally did arrive, I was pretty far dilated. Within a few hours afterward, our nine pound son entered the world.

It was a cold day when my son arrived. I also remember, three days later when we headed back home to Heilbronn. Spring had sprung while I was in the hospital. I recall remarking to my husband about all of the flowers that were opened, and how beautiful it was. I'm afraid it was a quiet and unusual birthday for my husband that year (March 16).

Today, I can't help but be reminded of the joy that came into our lives nineteen years ago. This is our first birthday to not be with our son, since he is away at college in Florida. We praise God for you son. Happy Birthday!! We love you and miss you!

No comments: