"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Sunday, March 28, 2010

God's Faithfulness

"I will sing of the Lord's great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations." Psalm 89:1

It's been exactly a year to the day, since I had that fateful phone call that drastically changed our world. From my husband's voice, it was difficult to tell that he was the one that was injured. He experienced a very severe fracture of his pelvis while skiing in West Virginia with our two sons. He called from a hospital in Maryland, where he had been transported.

I was blessed to have a dear friend and her daughter drive me to the hospital to be with him. It was two days before we were able to transport him to Pennsylvania and straight to another hospital. We waited two more days before he had specialized surgery to repair the break. The surgery lasted over seven hours, longer than was anticipated. My husband developed complications from surgery and had extensive nerve damage in his right arm.

He had three months of not being able to put any weight on his left leg. I remember well the struggles I had lifting the wheelchair in and out of our van when I took him to doctor appointments and therapy. My husband is a bit bigger than I am. I had a difficult time pushing the wheelchair.

My dear husband is the sole bread winner of our family, and he needed to be out of work for at least three months. We didn't know how God would provide for our needs. While my husband was home, our stove died, we needed tires for our van, we needed groceries, our roof began to leak, and the list continued. Every time we had a need God met it.

Although it has been a long year of struggles and healing, God has remained faithful. This past Thursday my husband had his one year check up. I couldn't help but be reminiscent as we walked through the hospital. I saw where I sat for many hours awaiting word of how the surgery had gone. I remember how weak my normally big, strong husband was after this accident. We didn't know if he would even recover from the nerve damage that affected him. But through it all, we continued to trust God, that He would not give us more than we could handle.

I can't help but give praise to the Lord for His faithfulness in our lives. Even though my husband still has some nerve issues with his right hand, it has been healing. Hard times has caused us to draw closer as a family and to the Lord. We have grown stronger in the process.

So on this day, one year later, I am thankful for where God has brought us this past year. I am thankful for all the people that helped and encouraged us in so many ways. God has truly blessed us!

No comments: