"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, August 16, 2010

When Plans Change

"Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up." James 4:10

Today was to be the start of my son's 11th grade homeschool year. But plans changed this morning when my youngest son woke up with a fever, chills, aches, and extremely sore throat. The day progressed with him not improving at all, but seeming to get worse. It's looking very likely that we will need to make a doctor appointment for him in the morning.

I was out for a while this evening with my Bible study ladies for an evening of fun and fellowship. When I returned home my son was already in bed, but hadn't fallen asleep yet because he was burning up with fever and having difficuly swallowing because of the pain. I felt bad because I forgot that earlier in the evening he had wanted me to read some scriptures to him. While I was gone my husband read to him before our son went to bed.

My son has been reading through the book of James in his devotional time. Each day he picks out a verse that is meaningful to him and writes it down and puts it in his pocket as a reminder of what God has taught him. Today he was feeling too lousy to do his devotions on his own, so my husband helped him out. So when I got home, even though he was feeling awful, he asked me to write this verse down on a slip of paper and put it with his Dad's things so he'll see it in the morning before he goes to work.

Our day turned out different then we had planned for it to go, but I am reminded that our plans are not always what God plans are. But through it all, I pray that we will desire to follow his way. In the midst of struggles and sickness may we still choose to look to the Lord.

No comments: