"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, August 5, 2010

Ground Hog Diaries

Yesterday we saw our first sighting of a ground hog that was in our driveway. Today we have had at least two times where he has been of our front porch. My sons have seen him under one of our pine trees and I saw him under the bushes up front. My guys were eager to pull out a pellet and BB gun, to try and discourage him from taking up residence here. Although I think it's a lost cause. We aren't positive, but feel he has made a home in the rock garden at the side of our house.

Now there are some critters that I don't mind. I love watching the birds that have been coming to my feeders. Yesterday we had a juvenile cardinal. He reminded me of the one we had a few years ago that we saw grow up from baby to adult. This one was likely a male. It was still at the stage that you couldn't tell for sure, because his feathers were still muted colors with just hints of red. Even the beak was dark and hadn't turned orange yet.

I'm not too fond of squirrels in my yard because they eat up all the bird food that I put in the feeders. I'm not too crazy about cats either, since they kill the birds that I love to watch. Having a ground hog that close to the house makes me a bit nervous. I do like seeing chipmunks.

All right, this is perhaps a dramatic analogy. But I kept thinking of this verse in 1 Peter 5:8 which says the following. "Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." I know this ground hog isn't the devil :) and he isn't looking to devour us. But I am reminded of how quickly sin can enter our life and heart and hinder our relationship with the Lord. Just like this ground hog has suddenly appeared on our property and has seemed to taken up residence, so we can be drawn away if we aren't careful.

No comments: