"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, August 2, 2010

Broad Shoulders

"Cast your cares on the LORD
       and he will sustain you;
       he will never let the righteous fall." Psalm 55:22

"Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7 

I had the pleasure of having breakfast with a friend this morning. I have been incredibly blessed by having lots of times to meet with various friends throughout these summer months. My friend in Georgia calls me a social butterfly. I laugh, because that is so uncharacteristic of my shy self. 

As my friend and I spent time together eating and sharing our hearts, I was struck by some things. Often we each have a burden that we bear in our hearts. Sometimes it is too private to share with someone. It may be a hurt or pain that we are trying to work through. Perhaps we don't share because we may feel like nobody else will understand or relate to us. It may be something that you can only share with the Lord. I believe that ultimately we are to always bring our concerns and cares to God. Only He knows how best to address those issues.
But I wonder if sometimes we deprive ourselves by not sharing with others. Often we discover that they have gone through something very similar and can give us words of wisdom or a shoulder to cry on, or the encouragement of knowing they are praying for us. I feel that is what calls us to do as Christians, to be an uplift and help to each other. Sometimes we can get so downtrodden that we need somebody else to come alongside us and help us walk for a while. Is there someone that you know that needs your help today?

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I feel like I have been turning into a hermit the past several months! I feel "guilty" if I take time for myself to go and meet with friends. Probably this is a tool of the devil. Pray for me.

Marilyn...in Mississippi