"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

In an Instant

"Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed." 1 Corinthians 15:51-52

"As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake, for they were fishermen. "Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men." At once they left their nets and followed him.When he had gone a little farther, he saw James son of Zebedee and his brother John in a boat, preparing their nets. Without delay he called them, and they left their father Zebedee in the boat with the hired men and followed him." Mark 1:16-20


I know that this first scripture refers to when Jesus returns to this earth and calls us. But I can't help but think about how it relates to the second portion of scripture too. I have been ruminating for a couple weeks now about how life can change in an instant. One occurrence in our life can shape, mold and change our future - sometimes for good, but also for bad. At other times, it may just affect us for part of our life.

I have been thinking about my husband's ski accident, and how his life has been changed and different ever since he fell on the ski slopes almost 18 months ago. There still isn't a day that goes by, that he doesn't experience residual affects. At this point it is unclear whether or not he will ever be fully healed and back to 'normal.'

I also remember an event in my growing up years that only took a few minutes to occur, but I still carry the influence of it. I know that it has deep roots that have affected me in many ways, not always for the best.

But then I read in scripture how some ordinary man responded to the call of the Master. They answered when Jesus invited, little realizing how drastically it would change their lives forever, as well as the world as they knew it. In an instant their lives were radically transformed. Are you willing to answer the Master's call and be changed?

No comments: