"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Miracles

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11

Yesterday we left on vacation to head down to Maryland for a mini-retreat and time away. We had about two and a half hours of travel time. On the route we were taking, part of the highway snaked through the mountains. It was in one of these mountain areas that we had a truck pull right in front of our vehicle.

It was one of those close calls. If my husband hadn’t braked hard, we would have been in the back end of the truck. There was not sufficient room for the truck driver to get over, but he still pulled into our lane.

I’ve been thinking about the what ifs. What if my husband hadn’t braked as hard as he did? What if there had been a car behind us or beside us? If any of those things were changed at all, we would have been in perhaps a deadly accident.

Our ‘near miss’ made me more aware of the things we often take for granted. I realize that it wasn’t a coincidence that we weren’t in an accident yesterday. I know that God was watching out for us. I also realize that it doesn’t mean that we will always be protected or have things go our way. God often allows bad things into our lives as well as the good things.

But I am extremely thankful for God’s provision yesterday. I know it was a miracle that we weren’t in an accident. I pray that I am sensitive to seeing God work in my life. May I always live a life that exemplifies Him.

No comments: