"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, February 12, 2010

Treasure

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. "Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:44-46

I couldn't help but think of this verse, as I reflected on an occurrence that happened in the midst of the snowstorm we had a couple days ago. Out my kitchen window, I can see a bird feeder that we have hanging from our deck. Also, I have placed a wooden board on the deck itself that I often scatter with birdseed, so I can see various birds as they come to eat.

On this particular day, there was a flurry of activity at the bird feeder. Cardinals, sparrows, blue jays, various finches and juncos were taking their turn at sustenance on this cold, snowy, wintry day. A rose of Sharon bush stands right by the feeder, so the birds often tend to congregate there to await their opportunity to eat.

My husband and I watched as the snow was falling quickly, and had completely covered the board filled with seed. We watched in amazement at the juncos, often called snow birds. They would land on the board and shuffle their feet continually, so they could displace the snow and still find the seeds. They knew that there was treasure under that snow - something good to eat, and they were determined to find it and get it. They worked for quite a while, and were able to uncover a bit of snow in the process. Finally, it got to the point that the snow was accumulating so fast, that they gave up with finding food on the board, and instead went to the feeder.

I am reminded of the treasures that we can find in God's Word, if we are willing to take the time to dig and find them. Jeremiah 33:3 promises, 'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.' We need to be open, asking and searching for what He has for us. He desires for us to know. Have you asked Him what He has created for you to be and do with your life?

This break that I have been taking, has been allowing me to do that. It has been exciting and refreshing to see and hear from my Lord. Interestingly, He has reassured and reaffirmed a calling that I have felt from God ever since I was a young girl. I am anxious to see the treasure or fruit that He desires to accomplish through this. I desire for Him to use me in a mighty way - not because of me, but because of Him.

No comments: