"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Resting in My Daddy's Arms

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Yesterday as I my husband and I drove to our son's swim meet, it was just beginning to snow. By the time we came out from the meet several hours later, it was continuing to fall. Snow always brings joy to my heart whenever I see it. The roads were getting quite slippery by the time we made it safely home.

Today I was to drive my son to work at a Christian camp - about 35 minutes away from us. Because of the roads, my husband didn't want me to drive, but instead to postpone his working to another day this week. Fortunately our schedule, and the camps is pretty flexible, and we were able to do that. So instead of having to get up early and be stressed with driving in the snow, I was able to sleep in and catch up on some sleep.

I did an unheard of thing (at least for us) - my son and I have decided to take a snow day. He wanted to be able to have some time to play in it. At almost sixteen years of age, I realize that it won't be long before he no longer has this desire. So I took advantage of the time, to give him a break. He chose to do a few of his subjects that require reading, but for the most part we are just relaxing today.

As I have been going through my spiritual retreat, I am realizing the importance of having time to just rest in the Lord's presence. In today's society, there always is a long 'to do' list awaiting our time and attention. We often live in constant motion. We rarely take time to just rest.

I have been keeping a journal as I go through this journey and I have entitled it, "Resting in My Daddy's Arms". It is a reminder to me of setting time apart to come into the Lord's presence. To crawl up in His arms like a little child does with their parent, and just rest in His comfort, peace and security. He has many things He desires to show and teach me. He is just waiting for me (and you) to crawl up in His arms and rest in Him.

1 comment:

Janice said...

My friend Jodie: God has certainly blessed you with the gift of writing. I am praying for you!! keep the "pearls" coming. Thanks for sharing,

Janice