"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Teaching, Rebuking, Correcting and Training

"Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it." James 4:17

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

Ouch! Aren't there sometimes when you read a passage of scripture, and the Holy Spirit uses it to convict you? Not always a fun thing, but necessary, if we desire to grow to be more like Jesus.

I like what it say in 2 Timothy, that all scripture is God-breathed. I can picture God standing with one hard on the shoulder of each of the writers in the Bible. God's other hand guides the writer's pen as He whispers to them, "This is what I want you to write." As a writer, this is my desire as well - for God to guide my pen and words as I write. Obviously, my words will never be God-breathed like the Bible is, but I still desire for Him to use me.

God intends for scripture to teach, rebuke, correct and train us. All of these words, remind me of the role I have played in the lives of my sons. For almost nineteen years, my husband and I have daily taught, rebuked, corrected and trained them in a myriad of ways.

It's easy to look at these words and think of them as harsh, and perhaps shy away from the intent. But I believe God had in mind the role of a parent, who lovingly guides their children in the way they should go. Their actions may seem harsh at times, but it is driven by their unconditional love for their child.

I awoke this morning, with a prayer on my lips, before I even reached for the Bible on my nightstand. "Lord, help me to see You today." My first thought, was a desire to be in His presence and to be used by Him. Then the verse I read in James, leapt off the page to convict me. I knew that God was whispering and reminding me of the gift that He has given me, that I have allowed to lie dormant the past couple years. It is a desire that I have sensed Him fanning into flames, as I am going through this spiritual retreat. It is something I no longer can deny and must be faithful in walking in the path He has set before me. I do so with trepidation, only because of the battle with the enemy that says, "You can't do that. You'll never amount to anything. You don't really have a gift...."

I choose this day to follow God's call and no longer listen to the enemy's lies.

No comments: