"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, February 22, 2010

Self Talk

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life." Galatians 6:7-8

I have been reading a book by Sue Augustine entitled Sanity Secrets for Stressed-Out Women. She wrote the following statement. "According to studies, when our thoughts are monitored on an average day, over 80 percent of what we think about is negative." Wow! This statement made me do some serious thinking about this matter.

The scripture above mentions that we reap what we sow. With that in mind, if we are sowing these negative thoughts, then it makes sense that we reap the results of that as well. When it gets boiled down to that, it makes me realize the importance of guarding what we say to ourselves, and also what we think too.

A friend of Sue Augustine sent her the following list:
  • You say, "It's impossible." God says, "All things are possible." (Luke 18:27)
  • You say, "I'm too tired." God says, "I will give you rest." (Matthew 11:28-30)
  • You say, "I can't go on." God says, "My grace is sufficient." (2 Corinthians 12:9)
  • You say, "I can't figure things out." God says, "I will direct your steps." (Proverbs 3:5-6)
  • You say, "I can't do it." God says, "You can do all things." (Philippians 4:13)
  • You say, "It's not worth it." God says, "It will be worth it." (Romans 8:28)
  • You say, "I can't manage." God says, "I will supply all your needs." (Philippians 4:19)
  • You say, "I feel so alone." God says, "I will never leave you or forsake you." (Hebrews 13:5)
If you go through scripture, I'm sure you can come up with some answers to your own problems or situations you are facing. So again, the final thing to note is that it is a conscious choice we make. Psalm 139:23-24 encourages, "Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting." We can decide whether to follow these negative thoughts, or choose a different path to take. I choose this day to dwell on the positive.

No comments: