"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Grateful...In All Things

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:17

This afternoon I was to attend a crochet club for young girls that are interested in learning how to crochet and knit. This would have been the first time that my schedule allowed me time to participate. I had been so excited.... Instead I am sitting on my sofa, covered up with a blanket and fighting a bad head cold, and feeling pretty lousy.

In a little over three days, I will be flying to Georgia. I have a lengthy 'to do' list that really needs to be accomplished before I leave for this nine day trip. Even though I puttered around and was able to do a few things this morning, it wasn't anything that was on my list and could be crossed out. They were other items that just needed to be done.

By the time it was lunch time, I was too exhausted, and feeling too poorly to even eat. I asked my son to take care of his own meal and headed off to bed. I was able to have a good nap, but still am feeling achy and a little dizzy.

Before long I will need to make supper, so my son can eat before heading out for swim practice this evening. Right now I don't feel like moving from the position I am in. I would much rather just crawl back in bed.

Part of me wants to ask, "Why Lord? Why do you have me getting sick, just days before I am to leave?" My mind immediately thinks of what things will be like if I'm still not feeling well while flying, or visiting my friend, or..... It's times like this when I must stop myself and choose to be grateful, despite my circumstances.

One thing I know is that my sickness is not a surprise to the Lord. He knew about it, before I did. I also know I can trust Him to allow things in my life that I can manage, with His strength. He won't give me more than I can handle. I know that I can rely on Him and He will be here for me.

So this day I choose to be grateful despite not feeling well. I choose to give him praise for where He has me, even when I don't understand it. I know I can trust Him.

No comments: