"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Laughter

"Our mouths were filled with laughter, our tongues with songs of joy. Then it was said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them." The LORD has done great things for us, and we are filled with joy." Psalm 126:2-3

A happy heart makes the face cheerful, but heartache crushes the spirit." Proverbs 15:13


All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast." Proverbs 15:15

A cheerful look brings joy to the heart, and good news gives health to the bones. Proverbs 15:30

I surprised myself last evening. I have been reading a good book this past week, and I on several occasions have found myself laughing as I perused the pages. It made me pause for several reasons. As a writer, I often find myself analyzing as I read, trying to discover what it is that makes it a good book. Sometimes I become so enthralled with the story, that I forget to examine it, because I am so wrapped up in the unfolding drama.

Several weeks ago, I still was in the midst of some very difficult situations. I was experiencing many health issues, as well as feeling overwhelmed by various stresses that I kept encountering. I knew that my health was continuing to deteriorate, because of these various weights that were weighing me down.

That is the main reason I felt God calling me to start this spiritual retreat - to help me get my eyes more focused on Him, instead of my situation. It has at times taken a conscious choice and decision to keep my eyes on Him, even though I was seeing no results.
This is often typical of us it seems - to get discouraged when we don't see anything happening. Perhaps because we live in a fast paced society, we expect instant fruit.

But it always takes the seed being planted, water, sunlight, and growth before a bud forms. Then the flower still needs to be pollinated before it can begin to burst forth with fruit. Even the fruit takes a while to fully form and be 'ripe'. I am not yet at the point of seeing fruit, but I have witnessed the potential shining through.

How do I see it? Because I find myself laughing once again, being more joyful, and often discover that I'm humming praise songs or hymns throughout the day. Also, yesterday my husband returned home to tell me of some potentially good news. Even though, I at this point have not seen the actual evidence of it, I trust that God will produce fruit there as well.

No comments: