"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, February 19, 2010

In God's Shadow

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." Psalm 91:1-2

My son shared with me this morning one of the reasons why he appreciates his boss. "He accepts me for who I am, and doesn't compare me to my brother." My heart went out to him, as he said these words. It brought back many memories through the years of being compared to my two older brothers (three and four years older), as well as a girl cousin that was nine years older than me.

I could relate to the pain of being compared and found lacking. Even though my two sons are totally different in personality, it seems to be the natural tendency for some to contrast them. It is hard to live in someone else's shadow, especially if you are the one that feels deficient.

My youngest son has excelled in a lot of areas this year - his first year without his older brother at home. I feel it is a large part of not having to be in his brother's shadow anymore. It allows him the opportunity to be accepted for who he is. I think it also has permitted people to see the strengths that he possesses.

What a contrast it is to be in God's shadow - a place where He allows us to be who He created us to be. We are loved, accepted, cared for and appreciated. He doesn't compare us to anybody else in the entire universe. We are unique because He created us. He sees past our weaknesses, to see the potential that is within us. He loves us even when we fail.

There is safety being in the shadow of God. He desires what is best for us and we can trust Him. I consider it a tremendous compliment if I am compared to Him. I desire to be in God's shadow.

No comments: