"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Peaceful

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." Matthew 14:27

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7

As I write this, my husband and I are away for the weekend, for some much needed time alone together. It has been peaceful. We are able to sleep, eat, relax, spend time in conversation and just have a good time being with each other. I also enjoy that I don't need to worry about cooking meals and cleaning up afterward. I don't need to work on things around the house, be tied to phone calls, etc.

While we were out and about today we had the opportunity to talk about some things. I was able to share what God has been placing on my heart lately, and what direction I have been feeling Him leading me. I have been praying for almost a month now. The more I pray about what God has been showing me, the more at peace I have been.

But that is what the scripture in Philippians describes. We need to bring our anxious and weary hearts and place them at the feet of Jesus. He desires to show us His will and to give us peace in the process. Even in the midst of difficult things and situations, God can provide that peace that passes understanding.

When I think of "peace that surpasses all understanding" I always remember when our youngest son was five years old and had fallen off the bunk bed. We were at the hospital awaiting word of what was wrong with him. We learned that he had completely fractured his spleen and needed to be flown via a medical helicopter to a bigger hospital that could better take care of him.

The helicopter was about ready to leave. We realized that before we saw our son again he could be in surgery or possibly no longer alive. As I watched the crew load our little son into the aircraft I knew that he was in the Lords' hands. Even in the midst of the unknown, I experienced that peace. I knew that no matter what happened, I could trust the Lord.

I praise God for the promise of peace. I also am thankful for the opportunity to have a peaceful weekend with my husband.

No comments: