"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Faithfulness

"He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart." Psalm 91:4

Early this morning my husband was outside clearing off the car, and shoveling the foot of snow that had fallen since yesterday afternoon. He works at a state university in the computer department. Even though the school was closed for classes, staff was still supposed to report to work. When he arrived on campus, parking lots and sidewalks had not been cleared.

It didn't seem to make any sense of why he had to be at work today. He could have taken leave, but since his ski accident less than a year ago, he has not been able to earn many days of vacation. So he was reticent to take the day off.

Only a few other people made it into work this morning. Most chose to take a day of vacation. By the time he arrived home, the roads had become pretty hazardous - so much so that the governor of our state has closed quite a few of the main interstates.

I couldn't help but think about the faithfulness of my husband this morning - to go into work, even when the weather
was poor. The dictionary defines faithful as, "strict or thorough in the performance of duty". That is definitely a word that I would use to describe my husband - he is faithful and dependable. I can always count on him to be there, when I need him. At times he is the anchor that keeps me sane.

But as much as I love and respect my husband, he can never take the place of my Lord and Savior. Ultimately at the root of my anchor I hold in my husband, is actually Jesus. I know that there will be some times when my husband can not physically be present, but God is always with me. He promises to be faithful to us. I take rest and comfort in God's faithfulness this beautiful snowy day.

No comments: