"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, February 26, 2010

Promises

"They do not say to themselves, 'Let us fear the LORD our God, who gives autumn and spring rains in season, who assures us of the regular weeks of harvest.'" Jeremiah 5:24

"Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Hebrews 13:5

I looked out the window this morning, to see another snowy day in PA. The wind was whipping snow around. I saw several birds congregated at our feeders. Then I happened to glimpse a plump bird with feathers ruffled, trying to stay warm. To my surprise, it was a robin. My little friend arrived perhaps a little too early this season. He probably was anticipating some green grass instead of blowing snow.

As much as I would love to have a few more snow storms before the weather changes, I know that before long the promise of Spring will be descending upon us, whether I'm ready for it or not. God has designed the four seasons, and He promises that they will faithfully come each year. We can depend upon that.

I was thinking about promises when I saw the robin this morning. I love the promise that God gives - to never leave us or forsake us. What a reassurance that is, especially when facing challenges in our lives. What a blessing to know that He will always be there. God's Word is full of promises to His people. We can rely on and trust His Word.

As followers of God, it is also important for us to stand by the promises that we make to others. Children are good at reminding you of things that you have promised, sometimes perhaps in the heat of the moment. Whether our promise was given half heartedly or with full intentions, we need to be people that stick by our word. Matthew 5:37 encourages, "Simply let your 'yes' be 'yes,' and your 'no,' 'no'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one."

How are you doing with keeping the promises that you make?

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

We're having robins already too. They probably are wondering where the warm weather is! ha

Good post again today....as always!

Marilyn...in Mississippi