"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Insight

"I'll write the book on your righteousness, talk up your salvation the livelong day, never run out of good things to write or say." Psalm 71:15 (The Message)

"And the special gift of ministry you received when I laid hands on you and prayed—keep that ablaze! God doesn't want us to be shy with his gifts, but bold and loving and sensible."
1 Timothy 1:6-7 (The Message)

It seems lately, that driving my son back and forth to work has become my time to ponder things. It also is a good time to pray and listen to some teaching CD's. Today I had opportunity to do all three of these.

I was listening to a message by Susanne Scheppman from the 2006 She Speaks conference, put on by Proverbs 31 Ministry. This gathering is designed for speakers, writers, and women's ministry leaders. Susanne's talk was entitled, 'Pathway to Publication'. It was geared to teach more of the nuts and bolts of creative writing and submitting for publication. I found it very inspiring and encouraging.

As much as I was touched by listening to the CD, I also was reminded of words that my husband spoke to me a few days ago. We had been talking about my writing, and my desire to get back into doing it again. He commented that he had known from the very beginning that God has given me a gift to write. He said it with conviction and without hesitation.

Often it is easy to overlook something that a loved one or best friend tells us. Perhaps we think that they are only saying things, because they care about us. We may believe that they can't see the flaws that perhaps everybody else does. Actually, I think this is Satan's way of telling us lies that distracts us from the original mission that God has placed in our hearts.

I realize now (and should have a long time ago), that often those closest to us, that know us the best, also are able to provide the best insight for our future. They already have a vested interest in us and desire to see us succeed. I guess it is never too late to learn something new! :)

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

Good to catch up with you again "Pearls". I have not been able to read a lot of blogs lately and have missed everyone.

God bless,

Marilyn...in Mississippi