"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Day Seven - Thankful for Christmas

I know, you probably are wondering why I am talking about Christmas when it's not even Thanksgiving yet. I guess I'm different than most people - all right my whole family is! :) We begin celebrating Christmas earlier than most people do. This year is a little earlier than normal - well only in the sense of decorating. We already have been playing Christmas music on and off the past couple months.

This week my husband is away on a business trip, so my son and I decided to start Christmas decorating while he was gone. So yesterday we pulled the boxes out of the attic. We decided to take the day off of doing school work, swim practice, etc. and just spend the day together. We had Christmas music playing as we started decorating the house. We often took breaks since I still was worn out from a bad headache from the day before. My son mentioned that it would have been just perfect if it had also been snowing outside! :) Unfortunately it was 55 degrees instead. Oh well!

There is something about pulling out the Christmas decorations and preparing the house to celebrate Christ's birth. I guess it also makes me do some soul searching as I also prepare my heart to celebrate this season. I am a firm believer in that Christmas shouldn't come just once a year. It shouldn't be just a few weeks that people choose to think about someone other than themselves. We should choose each day to reach out to the needs of those around us. We should be cheerful to those we meet at all times of the year, and not just when we are feeling in the Christmas spirit. So for today (and the 37 days up until - and probably afterward too! :) I am thankful for Christmas!

No comments: