"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, October 8, 2009

When Is the Last Time You Praised Your Husband?

As women we enjoy when someone appreciates the things that we do. I know it is important to be a servant and often go unrecognized for the things we do, but part of us still has a desire to be valued and understood. I guess I have been thinking more on this topic this week.

I have been a stay-at-home wife/mother for almost twenty two years now. Wow! That seems hard to believe! This week I made a point of thanking my husband for allowing me to have that opportunity. Because if it wasn't for his commitment to the importance to having me at home, I wouldn't be in this position. It had been a while since I had told my husband "thank you." He seemed surprised and pleased when I mentioned it to him.

Yesterday wasn't the greatest day on my hormonal calendar. For some reason as I get older it tends to be more and more of an issue. My dear husband knew I wasn't feeling well and wanted to know what he could do to help. We already had to drive for about 35 minutes to pick our son up from work. It was to be a rushed evening with church activities, as well as packing for a trip as well. He suggested that we grab something to eat while we were out. I jokingly commented about making it a common occurrence that one time a month when I am feeling at my lowest. He readily agreed that it was something that he could do for me. So next month may find my dear husband bringing home a pizza, fried chicken, or some other ready made meal.

Now I'm not saying you should praise your husband so you get things in return. But I think when we take the time to make them feel and know they are special, they are open and receptive to ways that they can meet our needs as well. Now, if you haven't been praising your husband it may take him a while to notice. He may never choose to do something in return for you. But the least we can do is to choose to be a servant. Choose to serve as if our husband was Jesus Christ.

How can you serve today? What praises can you tell your husband?

No comments: