"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Unknown Water Ahead

Yesterday I had a doctor appointment to check out a spot that I have had on my face for quite a while. The sad thing is, I have no clear idea of how long it has been there. I don't know if it was before my husband's ski accident in March, or right after it? I really don't know for sure. I do know that I have had it for at least three months, but likely longer than that.

Yesterday a biopsy was taken and I should find out in a few days of whether or not it tests positive for skin cancer. I did some searching on the web this morning about skin cancer. My lesion fits all of the symptoms of the disease. My doctor reassured me that it is usually 94% curable. Further research shows that spots that are near nose, eyes or ears can be more of a problem. Mine is right by my ear.

I further did a search to see if there is any links to skin cancer and developing other types of cancer. Studies have shown that if you have skin cancer, you are more likely of developing other types of cancer. The risk goes even higher if you develop skin cancer from the age of 25-44. Well, I just happen to be 44. Not very encouraging news.

So what do I do?

"We wait in hope for the LORD;
he is our help and our shield.

In him our hearts rejoice,
for we trust in his holy name." Psalm 33:20-21


"Even youths grow tired and weary,
and young men stumble and fall;

but those who hope in the LORD
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. " Isaiah 40:30-31

My hope continues to be in the Lord. He knows my future and I know I can trust Him. It's funny how all through this year, God continues to lead me on the path of trusting in Him. I've experienced it through my husband's ski accident and long recovery, through stepping out and letting my fifteen year old son travel to China, through letting go of my oldest son to head to college in Florida, and now to the possibility of skin cancer. Through it all, my hope continues to be in the Lord. Where is your hope today?

No comments: