"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Sunday, October 4, 2009

Laughter

It was to be a busy day. My youngest son had an eye exam and then we needed to go shopping for groceries for a scouting outing where he needed to plan, purchase and cook for his patrol for the entire weekend. We only had that one day that we could take care of everything.

The eye appointment ran late. My son had brought his school work along to work on in the car as we went from store to store - ah the beauty of homeschooling! :)

As we left the parking lot I noticed that the windshield was dirty and could use some cleaning. It was a warmer day so our windows were rolled down part way. My son was dutifully working on his assignments for the day. I pushed the window cleaner button on the steering wheel when suddenly my son cried out in dismay. His window was further down than mine was and he suddenly was being drenched with moisture from the cleaner.

I couldn't help it. I started to laugh and laugh and laugh. He didn't (at first) find it amusing at all, but soon joined me in laughing as well. It made me stop and realize how long it had been since I had a good laugh.

I had been stressed by the time constraints of our day until laughter seeped into my soul and brought me joy. It caused me to stop and just enjoy the moment. When was the last time you had a good belly laugh?

"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy." Job 8:21

No comments: