"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Small Steps.....

Last week I began the journey towards doing better with how much food and what kind of food I put into my mouth, as well as being more intentional with exercise. My husband and I have chosen to work together on this. Often that is a good thing, but it can become easy for both of us to fail as well. When one gives into temptation, it's easy to go along.

I was pleased that since last Monday I have lost over three pounds. One of the blogs I regularly read mentioned about the struggle that we face when we have been doing well with eating and then see a poster - in her case it was chips and salsa. I realize that this is not just a physical battle, but also a spiritual battle. Who am I allowing to be in control in my life - me or the Holy Spirit. If my body is truly God's temple, then shouldn't I be more careful of how I take care of it?

Some days I do really well. Last night I didn't do so well. After dropping off my husband at a meeting I stopped by McDonald's and got a sweet tea and cheeseburger. I also picked one up for my son who also was hungry. Now we had already eaten an early supper, so I really didn't need the food. But I gave in to temptation. I guess I have done that now as well, since I have a pan of brownies baking in the oven at this moment.

Now I'm not saying that we should never eat sweets, but the problem is that once they are around, it is so easy to have one, and one more, and one more. Then before you know it, the whole pan of brownies, or bag of chips have disappeared. Obviously this is not an area that I have overcome in. I would like to say that I am in the process. Some days I do really well, and some days not so well.

I pray that God will help me to resist temptation, and to become more like Him in the process. I am finding it is a step by step process, sometimes moment by moment......

No comments: