"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

A Sacrificial Heart

Hebrews 13:15-16 "Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased."

I only asked my husband for two things this year for Christmas. One was calendar pages that we have in the computer that he just needs to print off for me. The other thing, I already have received from him. I asked him to take off work between Christmas and New Year so we could just have some time as a family. It has been a very stressful year for all of us. With being my eldest son's senior year, I really wanted some concentrated time that we could spend time watching movies, playing games, and just enjoying each other's company.

Now I know that time off from work was not a huge sacrifice for him, but it did mean adjusting our schedule from what we normally do. It probably wasn't a big deal for him, but he knows how much it means to me. I can honestly say that my husband has sacrificed many times for us through the years. In two days we will celebrate our 21st anniversary and I continually praise God for this wonderful man.

As I contemplate sacrifice, my thoughts linger on the sacrifice that Jesus gave to each of us when He chose to die on the cross for our sins. He paid the ultimate sacrifice for you and me.

I know that most traditionally think of the baby Jesus in the manger when it comes to the Christmas season. But in my mind's eye I picture the stable with Mary, Joseph and Jesus as well as a silhouette in the background of the cross. You can't have Jesus without the cross. My prayer for you this Christmas is that you will accept Him into your heart and allow Him to be that sacrifice.

ACTIVITY
Spend some time contemplating the sacrifice that Jesus paid for you!

PRAYER
Dear Lord, I thank you for the sacrifice you paid on the cross for me. Help me to be mindful of that this Christmas season.

No comments: