"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Renewed Heart

"You were wearied by all your ways, but you would not say, 'It is hopeless.' You found renewal of your strength, and so you did not faint." Isaiah 57:10

We just returned from our mini vacation to Kentucky. We had two days of travel and two days of enjoying the Creation Museum. The few days away was a time of renewal for me. It also was a time of encouragement. Last night as I unpacked, I was feeling weary but also more at peace than I have in a while.

Then today hit with problems of its own. At times I became caught up in the situations and no longer felt that renewed heart. I felt distressed and burdened. As I contemplated the 'ups and downs' over the past couple days I realized that having a renewed heart is something I can choose daily.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says, "That is why we never give up. Though our bodies are dying, our spirits are being renewed every day. For our present troubles are quite small and won't last very long. Yet they produce for us an immeasurably great glory that will last forever! So we don't look at the troubles we can see right now; rather we look forward to what we have not yet seen. For the troubles we see will soon be over, but the joys to come will last forever." (NLT)

Jesus came into this world as a baby, but yet He still had the knowledge that His death on the cross was in His future. He still chose to come into this world for us - for you. Each day He chose to spend time with His Heavenly Father. He chose to renew His heart.

ACTIVITY
Spend some extra time in prayer and devotion to God this Christmas season. Ask Him to renew your heart each day.

PRAYER
Dear Lord, renew my heart and spirit this day. Make me more like you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: