"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Sunday, December 21, 2008

A Heart That Encourages


Proverbs 25:11 "A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
One of the gifts that God has given me is the gift of encouragement. At times it is a blessing and a curse. I know that God has used it in many ways to bless others. But sometimes it is a curse in that there are times when I feel like I could use some words of encouragement myself and don't always receive them.
I am not great at oral communication. In most settings when I am with people I tend to be quiet and reserved. I have always been shy, even as a child. I do much better at communicating through the written word. I'm able to write my thoughts much better than speaking them. When I try to speak them I often fall short of what I really intended to say.
In my devotional this morning, Joni Eareckson Tada mention this verse in her book Pearls of Great Price. She also talked about a friend of hers that writes notes of encouragement. When she sees her friend's handwriting on an envelope addressed to her, she knows that she will be receiving uplifting words. I guess this touched me today because I too have had received comments from people that now recognize my handwriting and know they will receive words to inspire and encourage.
I don't think a lot about writing these notes. I probably have written hundreds and perhaps thousands through the years. I just know that when I hear of a need, God prompts me to send them a note, which I do. As I write I also pray for them. Then I tend to go about my busy schedule and forget about it. It's a gift that I probably take for granted.
But as I think of Christmas I realize that each of us are called to encourage one another. Jesus also spoke words to uplift and inspire. Our words can be either written or spoken. Either way, make a point today of sharing some encouragement.
ACTIVITY
Make a point today of encouraging someone.
PRAYER
Dear Lord, help me to see the people around me who need a word of encouragement. Help me to be obedient. Amen.

1 comment:

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I am like you....I do much better communicating through the written word rather than face to face! And when you write a note of encouragement....unlike the spoken word.....it can be read again and again. I have in the past received a note of encouragement, put it in a drawer and when I later came across it was encouraged again! :)

God bless,
Marilyn