"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, December 12, 2008

A Heart That Craves

1 Peter 2:2 "Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation."

All right, I admit it! I often crave chocolate. Apparently so do some furry creatures that have taken up residence in my house over the past couple weeks - a mouse family. At least one of them has gotten into a carton of hot chocolate that I had in a cabinet. He chewed through the plastic lid to get to the tasty powder. On another occasion we found evidence that the mouse had visited again, and also noticed that it had helped itself to my basket of chocolate that I had put out for the Christmas season. It had gone to all of the work of pulling a piece out of the basket, and then left it in the middle of the counter. It must have gotten scared and abandoned it's tasty treat.

I would like to say that this is the first time that we have had problem with mice getting into our chocolate, but it isn't. This is at least the third occasion. Now we are in the process of ridding our home of these pesky critters.

I thought of this as I was preparing for my day this morning. I thought about how I often crave chocolate, and apparently so do mice. As we go throughout our day there can be many things that we crave. Sometimes it can be a certain kind of food. Or perhaps you find yourself craving things of this world - like prestige, power, and significance. Now I'm not saying that any of these things are bad in and of themselves.

However the problem begins when 'things' start to take priority or precedent in our lives over people, specifically our relationship with the Lord. When was the last time that you remember craving to have time with Your Heavenly Father? When did you crave to be in His Word and sit at His feet and just bask in His presence?

It is so easy to find ourselves caught up in our daily routine and ‘to do’ list that we forget to crave Christ. We forget to spend time with Him, we forget how important it is to grow in our relationship with Him and other believers. When was the last time that you were excited to share with others what God is teaching and showing you? When was the last time that you were honest with someone about the struggles you are facing and asked if they would join you in prayer together?

As Christmas gets closer, why not take the time to crave after Jesus. He won’t disappoint you.

ACTIVITY

Look for areas that you find yourself craving something. Before you indulge, stop and pray about it.

PRAYER

Lord, help me to earnestly crave after You. Show me the areas that I crave something that isn't godly. Make me more into Your image with each new day. Amen.

No comments: