"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Quiet Heart

1 Peter 3:3-5 "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."

Having a gentle and quiet spirit is something that I desire. The scripture says that it is of great worth in God's sight. Sometimes I do really well with it. I remember many years ago when I was in the midst of a very difficult situation. I was sitting in a meeting where I was being verbally attacked and my character questioned by the person in authority. The things he said were untrue as well as extremely hurtful. I was dumbfounded because this was a Christian setting. There was nobody there to stand in my defense.

I had prayed before going into the meeting and asked for God's words and love to shine through my life. Much discussion went on before I finally spoke. I don't remember the words I said, but I know that I didn't speak for very long. I did not point any fingers but simply said a few things that explained my position. I remember feeling God's peace and presence even though on the inside I was crying.

I never anticipated such a nasty attack from a spiritual leader. Funny thing is though. His accusations and finger pointing backfired on him. People in the meeting felt more sympathetic toward me instead of him. I think it was because in the midst of an awful situation God's spirit and a quiet heart shined through the lies.

This memory was painful for many years. Now I can look back and realize that God used it to help me to grow in the knowledge and understanding of having a gentle and quiet spirit. Do I always have it now? I wish! But I continue to strive to be more like my Heavenly Father.

When we think of Jesus coming into the world, we see Him with a gentle and quiet spirit. We also see that as He interacted with healing people and reaching out to their needs. May you follow His example.

ACTIVITY
You need to be intentional about cultivating a gentle and quiet spirit.

PRAYER
Dear Lord, make me more like you. Help me to have a gentle and quiet spirit, especially during this Christmas season. May I be able to touch others because of You. Amen.

No comments: