"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Monday, September 6, 2010

Labor Day - Thankful for the Work that God Has Given Me!

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." Colossians 3:23-24

This verse happens to be a favorite of my husband. It also was part of the theme of my pastor's sermon yesterday at church. The topic was "Taking Care of Business, Everyday, Every Way!" Pastor Paul Tatum's three points were:
  1. Your work is holy to the Lord.
  2. Your work honors God.
  3. Your work is hard for now.
He encouraged parishioners to follow the call that God has placed on your life. For me, that means writing and encouraging others. Pastor Paul said we should "zero in on what God has made us for and follow it." He also reminded us that "all of life is holy to the Lord."

So on this Labor Day I am rejoicing in the work that God has given me to do. Sometimes my writing is hard work. But most times it is a joy and a labor of love. It's something I need to discipline myself to sit down and work on each day, instead of coming up with excuses. I am thankful that it is what God has called me to do though!

No comments: