"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

If Only

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses,
       but we trust in the name of the LORD our God."  Psalm 20:7

 
Last night my friend and I stood in line for over an hour to have Beverly Lewis sign one of our books. We were excited about meeting a well known author face to face. With each step forward we took, our anticipation grew a little more and perhaps our nervousness too. What would we say to this 'biggie' in the Christian publishing world? Better yet, what would she say to us? We had forgotten our cameras, so we were unable to capture the moment on film. Only our rusty minds would record the conversation, and the few minutes in her presence.

Did anything earth shattering happen? No. She simply asked how I was doing last evening. She smiled graciously when I gave her one of her older books to sign. It was one of her first books that I had ever gotten, which I told her. She signed her name and was ready for the next person in line. My friend and I left feeling a bit let down. Perhaps we expected something a bit more dramatic. Maybe having her personalize it, by including our name. But it didn't happen that way.

Not wanting to end our evening on a disappointing note, we decided to go out for ice cream on our way home. My friend told me that when it is my turn to be a published author and have book signings, that we would do things a little differently. 

I can't help but still ponder this event. I think we often take stock in things that are going to happen. When I get a new car, then I'll be happy. When my kids start behaving, I'll be at peace. When ____________ happens, ..... or if only __________ then I'll have joy, peace and happiness. I admit, there are times that I fall into this trap.

Years ago I thought, "If only I could get a book published, I'd be happy."
"If only I could have a child, I'd be happy."
"If only we could return home, I'd be happy."
The list could go on and on. But isn't it funny, that if/when those things come to pass, they don't bring us satisfaction. They only have us longing for something different.


True joy and satisfaction can only be found in our Lord and Savior. All the chariots and horses (or stuff that this world accumulates) won't bring lasting peace or happiness. Only having a deep relationship with God solves the "if only" in our lives. Only Jesus satisfies!

No comments: