"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Friday, September 10, 2010

Aromas...Memories....Challenge

"For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other, the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?" 2 Corinthians 2:15-16

There is a familiar aroma in our house again - the smell of chlorine. Yesterday was the beginning of swimming for my 16-year-old son. I had to smile when I picked him up from the pool last night and he reeked of chlorine. It made me remember the many times we have had through the years of our boys participating in swim lessons and swim teams. There only are two more years of swimming likely in our future, unless my husband gets back into swimming.

As I moved my son's towel this morning, and again had the familiar scent waft over me, I couldn't help but think of all the fun experiences through my boys' swimming careers. I remember when my oldest son was just learning to swim and was too afraid to jump in the pool from the side. Whenever he tried to jump, he actually hopped backwards, further away from the edge of the pool.

I also thought of this verse written above. There are some scents that immediately bring a memory to mind. As Christians, we are to have the aroma of Christ to those that we meet. That means they can sense it in us. If we come across as angry, unloving, unforgiving, etc. we unfortunately give off the scent of death. Not many are attracted to the Lord when we act this way. This challenges us to live each day worthy of the calling that God has on our life - to show others His love by how we respond. How are you doing? How do you smell? :)

No comments: