"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Throw Off the Hindrances

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." Hebrews 12:1-3

This verse came to mind this morning, perhaps because I have been burdened lately. It struck me of the physical reality of throwing off the things that are hindering us. Now, sometimes that can be more literal than figuratively, depending upon the circumstances or situations. Perhaps from time to time we need that visual reminder of actually throwing weights off our shoulders that have accumulated.

I realize that this often is a continual process. Satan is subtle about returning the weights to our shoulders when we are unguarded and not watching. Before we know it, we are burdened again. Sometimes it may need to be a daily occurence, of asking God to take those weights from us.

So for today, I rest in the truths found in Hebrews and also here in Matthew 11:28-30. "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

No comments: