"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Half Way?

Almost two weeks ago on May 11th, I turned 45 years old. My birthday passed without much fanfare, as we were en route to Pensacola, Florida to pick up our oldest son from college. Since we were traveling in the car that day (for many hours), I had the opportunity to think quite a bit. I don't know why, but I couldn't help but wonder if this year is the half way mark in my life. All right, I realize that only the Lord knows how many days we have on this earth, and perhaps the life expectancy isn't even close to 90 years old, but this was the path my thoughts were taking me that day.

At the age of 45 I wondered how much I had accomplished in my life. What did I have to show for it? With my husband's help, we have raised two boys that know the Lord. In only two years, our youngest will likely be leaving our nest, and expanding his horizons. Our oldest has already spent his first year away at college. I couldn't help but look beyond to the time when they both will be gone. How will I fill my days? What is it that God is calling me to do? How can I make a difference?

I have shared recently on this blog, of my desire to write, and how I feel God is calling me to actively pursue this endeavor. I read the following words in my Bible this morning, and couldn't help but think about this passion God has given me.

"...for the special work to which I have called them." Acts 13:2b
"We are writing these things so that you may fully share our joy." 1 John 1:4

I pray that in the years to come I will be faithful to each thing that God places on my heart to do. I pray He uses me to encourage others, and inspire them to have a deeper walk with Him. I don't want to do things half way, but wholeheartedly. Ephesians 6:7-8 encourages, "Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men, because you know that the Lord will reward everyone for whatever good he does, whether he is slave or free." This too is the cry of my heart.

No comments: