"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Praise and Portion

In the night I remember your name, O LORD,
       and I will keep your law.
 This has been my practice:
       I obey your precepts. 
You are my portion, O LORD;
       I have promised to obey your words. Psalm 119:55-57


I have been doing a bit of thinking since my Bible study group met last evening. We have been working our way through Lysa TerKeurst's DVD Bible study Becoming More Than a Good Bible Study Girl. The session that we viewed talked about each day receiving the portion that God has for you for that day. At times, it can be so easy to rush through your devotions, and then perhaps check it off your mental 'to do' list. You read through the passage of scripture, but don't wait to have God whisper to you. You go away, unchanged by God's Word.

This is a powerful message for me to remember each day. I desire to seek out what God has to show me. I want my eyes, ears, and heart to be open so I don't miss it. I can't help but wonder what this world would be like, if each Christian did this. We could go around and ask each other, "What was your word from the Lord today? What has He shown you?" Don't you think the world would take notice of that? What if we didn't get up from our devotion time until we heard His voice?

With that said, my word from the Lord today came when I read Psalm 104:1a, which says, "Praise the LORD, O my soul." I think I often overlooking the importance of taking time just to praise the Lord. At times I get so wrapped up in my requests, that I forget the need for praise and thanksgiving. I guess like any parent, God likes to hear us be grateful instead of always hearing, "Can I have...."

This is my portion and food for thought for the day.
 

No comments: