"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Are You Ready for Eternity?

This past weekend we learned of three deaths - two elderly men from our church that have been battling cancer and also my husband's cousin who was his same age. As we sat through one of the funerals today, I was struck by the importance of knowing where you will spend eternity. Both of the men from our church loved the Lord and followed Him. We do not know for sure if my husband's cousin was a Christian or not.

I am only forty two years old, but I was struck today with getting down on paper what I would like to have done at my funeral service. Today's funeral was a celebration of a life and home going to heaven. I have been to numerous services through the years and am convinced that I want my funeral to be a celebration of the life I lived, and hopefully godly example to those around me.

So my dear bloggy friends, if you would die today, do you know how you will spend your eternity? Have you made that life altering decision to radically follow Jesus and ask Him to be Lord of your life? If you have been holding back, don't wait another day. You will not ever regret making a decision for Christ.

"From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' (Acts 17:26-28)

4 comments:

MelissaTaylor.org said...

Jodie Pearls....I just like calling you Pearls:)

Thank you so much for checking on me! You are the sweetest. I am doing much better. I went back to work this week, I just keep my foot propped up. Those sweet P31 gals are taking good care of me! At the end of the day, I'm in a little pain, but I'm only taking ibuprofen now, not the heavy stuff, so that's good.

I'm sorry you have had so much loss around you. It really does make you think doesn't it? We all need to seriously examine the question "Am I ready for eternity?" You never know when you'll be called there.

Thank you for your prayers, you are such a sweetheart!

Love,
Melissa

Natalie Witcher said...

I'm ready!! WHoo-hoo! I know where I'm going

mariel said...

Great post..i pray every eye that reads those words would make a desision FOR Christ!

Blessings, mariel
growingingodliness.blogspot.com

MelissaTaylor.org said...

How has your week been?

I've been thinking about you...you haven't posted in a few days yourself!

Hey, when you drive through Charlotte, you really should stop by!!!! Even if it was just to stop for lunch or something. Really.

Have a great weekend Pearls!
Love ya,
Melissa