"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Reckless Abandon

My mind has been mulling all week over a Bible passage I read in the Gospel of John earlier this week. It was the part that talked about Jesus calling his disciples. I was struck by the fact that they abandoned all that they knew - their livelihood, friends, family - and just walked away to follow the Savior. They had no idea what they would face in those years ahead, but they still chose to follow a man that they probably knew very little about. But when Jesus spoke, they followed. They came. Some even went and told a friend or a brother to come follow as well.

A few years ago Steven Curtis Chapman wrote a song called "For the Sake of the Call" and it talks about this very topic. Jesus called and with "reckless abandon" the disciples came. The song goes on with the chorus:

We will abandon it all for the sake of the call
No other reason at all but the sake of the call
Wholly devoted to live and to die
For the sake of the call

I ask myself, how devoted I am to the call of God on my life. Am I willing to recklessly abandon all I know to follow Him, no matter what the cost? Am I willing to do whatever it takes to follow His leading in my life? Most days I can answer a definite YES!, but other days are sometimes shaky and not so sure. I pray that He moves me to the place where I can be like one of His disciples, where I am willing to lay all that I know aside, in the quest to follow my Savior. 100%

4 comments:

Lysa TerKeurst said...

Oh my heart so beats with this very same message. Keep pressing on my friend.

Sweet Blessings~

Natalie Witcher said...

I wish I could say yes everyday. I'm like you, it's not everyday. I'm so glad his mercy is bigger than my everyday.

Charlene Kidd said...

I agree with you, I love your thought line on your post. I appreciate your stopping by my blog, and I hope you were inspired by our article in the magazine.
Have a great day,
Charlene

Ashley said...

I came to your blog from Lysa TerKeurst's blog. My last post was almost identical to your last post. I long to abandon it all for Christ. Thanks for you encouragement.