"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house." Matthew 5:14-15

"Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it." Matthew 13:45-46

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

How Often Do We 'Really' Praise the Lord

I have had several days of reflection this week. I have been thinking about my pastor's sermon a few days ago about watching our words, and have been praying for God to help me each day as I speak. Some of you know that I had a biopsy on Monday for the possibility of breast cancer. Throughout the past several weeks of tests and doctor appointments I have felt an overwhelming sense of God's peace that no matter what the answer would be, I knew that I could trust Him with my future. I truly was convinced that the report would come back positive for cancer, and that even in the midst of seemingly "bad" news, I knew He was in charge of my life.

Well, the report came back and it was negative for cancer. I truly was shocked. Of course I praise God for the good news, but I also was struck by this thought. "How often do I praise God when things go right, or when I receive good news, but tend to grumble when the news isn't so good?" We are told to praise God no matter what. I think this situation has given me just a small glimmer of what that truly means. I praise Him that I don't have cancer, but I also would have praised Him if I did.

I praised Him this week even when I was feeling pain and soreness from my surgery and my husband developed a severe infection that required treatment today. As we sat in the doctor's office we praised God that the doctor was able to take care of the problem in his office, instead of the operating room like we anticipated. But even if my hubby had to undergo surgery, we still would have praised God.

How are you doing with praising God? Do you praise Him in the good and bad times? I had a comment made to me about my incredible faith and I really don't think that is true. My faith often doesn't seem to be what it should. I think the difference is that I have been continually praying for God to change my heart and to make me more like Him. I have been praying that others will see Jesus in me. It's only when I take my eyes off myself and look in His sweet face, that I can truly praise Him no matter what.

2 comments:

Micca said...

Oh, Sweet friend! I'm so thankful for your good news! I join you in your praise.
You're so right to praise God in the good times and bad. He is worthy of our praise no matter what the circumstance because we can trust that He has our best at heart. Also, I've learned that while our situation may not change, we can change our outlook and feelings towards it by doing as you have suggested...Praising the Name of Jesus!
Bless you,
Micca

Rachel Olsen said...

Praising God with you for your good report!!

Oh happy day ~ Rachel